Gay Mayor Vies for Congress Seat
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 06 2011 9:20 AM ET
Mike Gin, a gay Republican who has served as mayor of Redondo Beach, Calif., since 2005, hopes to become the first person in a same-sex marriage elected to Congress.
In an upcoming special election, Gin is vying to represent California’s 36th congressional district in the U.S. House seat vacated by Jane Harman. If elected, he would become Congress’s fifth openly gay member, along with representatives Barney Frank, Tammy Baldwin, Jared Polis, and David Cicilline.
While he says his priorities if elected would be economic and education issues, Gin is well aware that his status as a gay politician in a same-sex marriage would have added benefits in terms of visibility.
"Certainly, we all need role models, and being gay and being married is just a part of who I am," he said. "If somehow my election would provide some inspiration or maybe help a young person that's very conflicted about being gay, then I think that's a wonderful thing."
The politician, 48, and his husband, animator Christopher Kreidel, 50, have been together for 16 years and were legally married just days before Proposition 8 eliminated same-sex marriage in California.
Read the full story here.
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- Porn Star Wilfried Knight Commits Suicide After Long Battle With Immigration
- Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill
- Florist Counter-Sues Washington, Arguing She Has a Right to Discriminate
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM