Hockey Manager Slams Avery's Activism
BY Michelle Garcia
May 10 2011 1:15 PM ET
An executive at a management firm that represents several professional
hockey players came out against New York Rangers left wing Sean Avery,
who has joined the fight for marriage equality.
"Very sad to read Sean Avery's misguided support of same-gender 'marriage,'" Uptown Sports Vice President Todd Reynolds wrote on Twitter Monday, using the company's account. "Legal or not, it will always be wrong."
After receiving negative feedback for his statement, Reynolds wrote, "To clarify. This is not hatred or bigotry towards gays. It is not intolerance in any way shape or form. I believe we are all equal...But I believe in the sanctity of marriage between one man and one woman. This is my personal viewpoint. I do not hate anyone."
Avery is not signed with Uptown Sports, an Ontario-based firm.
Avery appeared in a video for the Human Rights Campaign this week, making him the first professional athlete to endorse New York's renewed push to legalize marriage equality this year. He follows the same type of action by Baltimore Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo, who recorded a video statement for Equality Maryland earlier this year.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 59 min 32 sec ago
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator June 18 2013 6:00 PM