Gay Softball Lawsuit May Go to Trial
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 02 2011 7:25 AM ET
Three Bay Area amateur softball players who sued a gay sports association after officials questioned their sexuality during a 2008 championship series may find themselves at an August trial.
A federal judge in Seattle Tuesday refused to dismiss the suit, brought on behalf of the three players by the National Center for Lesbian Rights in a rare instance of an LGBT legal advocacy group suing a gay organization.
In the suit, NCLR alleges that during the 2008 Gay Softball World Series in Seattle, North American Gay Amateur Athletic Association officials interrogated the three plaintiffs, whom a competing team had suspected of being straight, about their sexual orientation. In interview last year with The Advocate, all three players asserted that they are bisexual.
“Sports leagues are all about fair play, diversity, and inclusion,” NCLR staff attorney Melanie Rowen said in a 2010 interview. “Unfortunately, when our clients traveled with their team to the Gay Softball World Series, what they got instead was an atmosphere of hostility, discrimination, and suspicion.” An attorney for the gay athletic association denied the allegations and said the league, a private organization, broke no public accommodations laws.
U.S. district judge John Coughenour ruled that the amateur sports association can keep its rule limiting the number of heterosexuals on each team to two, but also ruled that its actions against the three men may have violated the Washington Laws Against Discrimination, The Seattle Times reports.
Read more here.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM