Westboro Protests Outside NBA Finals
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 06 2011 8:55 AM ET
Members of the Westboro Baptist Chruch protested a new NBA policy against antigay slurs Sunday night outside game 3 of the league finals in Dallas.
KDAF-TV reports on the small, hour-long protest outside the American Airlines Center, which befuddled some fans who arrived to watch the Dallas Mavericks play the Miami Heat. The antigay Westboro Baptist Church criticized a new policy against gay slurs that already has resulted in fines for players including Kobe Bryant and Joakim Noah.
"Now David Stern, the tyrant commissioner of the NBA is jamming a message down the throat of America that not only is it okay to be gay but you don't even want to use the word gay in a negative connotation,” said protester Steve Drain, according to KDAF-TV.
While one spectator described the protest as “sad and ridiculous,” one unidentified man rallied people in counterprotest, the station reported.
"Gay or straight, God will love you, gay or straight, gay or straight,” he said. “John 3:16; whosoever believes in him. Not Republican, not Democrats, not straight people, whosoever believes in him.”
In addition to the crackdown on antigay slurs, other developments in the past month have rapidly changed the conversation around gay issues in the NBA. Phoenix Suns president Rick Welts came out in May, followed by a video in support of marriage equality for the Human Rights Campaign by Suns point guard Steve Nash. Although no league player has come out yet, retired basketball star Charles Barkley added in recent weeks that he is certain he played with gay teammates during his career.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 30 min 24 sec ago
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 1 hour 6 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM