Gay Man Refused Funeral by Catholic Church
BY Jeffrey Hartinger
June 29 2011 5:56 PM ET
A family was initially denied
funeral services by the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego because the
deceased was gay, according to San Diego's Channel 10 News.
Sanfilippo, who died last week, had been a member
of Our Lady of the Rosary in Little Italy for decades and even left
money to the church in his will. His family, however, was informed last weekend that the church would be unable to host his funeral services, although ultimately, church officials released a statement saying they would allow the funeral.
The chancellor of the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego, Rodrigo Valdivia, sent an email saying, "Diocesan Authorities have concluded that the funeral as scheduled at Our Lady of the Rosary Parish may take place. Plans for the ritual are yet to be made," in addition to offering an apology.
However, Sanfilippo's family and
friends, including his partner of 28 years, have since arranged to
have the services Thursday at the Holy Cross
Cemetery and Mausoleum in San Diego.
Nicole Murray-Ramirez, a
friend of Sanfilippo's, said, “It’s like 2005 all over again for us
Catholics ... especially us gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender
Catholics,” in reference to gay businessman John McCusker being denied Catholic funeral services that year.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 18 min 51 sec ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM