Family Research Council Denounces Gay RNC Appointment
June 30 2011 5:50 PM ET
On Thursday, the Log Cabin Republicans announced that its executive director, R. Clarke Cooper, had been tapped to the Republican National Committee’s finance committee — an appointment that Cooper asserted in a statement would help “to advance a pro-growth, pro-free enterprise agenda, especially while working to elect and reelect pro-equality Republicans to office all across the country.”
The Family Research Council, of which George Rekers is a founder, took issue with the RNC’s selection.
In a blog post this afternoon, the Christian conservative lobbying group denounced Cooper’s appointment — as well as his organization’s “homosexual-centered” aims — which include bringing a lawsuit against the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy (a federal judge ruled DADT unconstitutional last September).
In a subsequent fund-raising plea, the post’s author, FRC vice president for government affairs Tom McClusky, urged readers to donate to his organization’s own political action committee — or to the Senate Conservatives Fund, chaired by South Carolina senator Jim DeMint.
The blog post is accompanied by an image of the Disney character Dumbo, with an alt tag that reads “elephant gay.”
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music WATCH: Cher Wigs Out on The Voice 2 min 57 sec ago
- Entertainment News CA Town Hoists And Promptly Removes Gay Pride Flag 1 hour 10 min ago
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM