LGBT Journalists Group Honors
BY Jeremy Kinser
June 30 2011 5:15 PM ET
The Advocate was recognized twice as the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association announced the recipients of its Excellence in Journalism Awards today.
Jonathan Rauch received first place in the Excellence in Opinion Writing Category for “The Majority Report,” while second place in Excellence in Feature Writing went to Jeff Sharlet for “Dangerous Liaisons.”
Additionally, freelance journalist Michael Luongo, a frequent contributor to The Advocate, is the recipient of this year's Sarah Pettit Memorial Award for Excellence in LGBT Media.
David Steinberg, NLGJA's national board president, released a statement, which read: "With a huge increase in entries, the 2011 awards show the depth of quality journalism reporting on LGBT issues and lives. From legacy media — like Jeff Sharlet's stunning reporting on homophobia in Africa for Harpers — to online citizen journalism — Bil Browning's heartbreaking saga of Betsie Gallardo chronicled at Bilerico Project — NLGJA's excellence in journalism awards recognize a variety of media and journalists who exemplify NLGJA's commitment to fair and accurate coverage of LGBT issues."
The awards are scheduled to be presented at the NLGJA National Convention and LGBT Media Summit in Philadelphia August 27.
NLGJA is an organization of journalists, media professionals, educators, and students who work within the news industry to foster fair and accurate coverage of LGBT issues.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 1 hour 10 min ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 1 hour 23 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM