Quinn Top Moneymaker in NYC Mayoral Race
BY Neal Broverman
July 15 2011 2:05 PM ET
With nearly double the amount of her nearest challenger, New York City council speaker Christine Quinn has raised $1.32 million for her bid to become the Big Apple's first openly gay mayor.
While the race isn't until 2013, a deadline for fund-raising passed on Monday. Quinn is blowing away her competition — public advocate Bill de Blasio has the second-largest war chest at $675,000, while Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer is third with $655,000, reports NY1. It seems likely that Quinn will raise at least close to the primary fundraising limit of $6.4 million.
Read the full story here.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 43 min 32 sec ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 46 min 4 sec ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 1 hour 30 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 1 hour 37 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 2 hours 40 min ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 2 hours 57 min ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 4:39 PM