Kurt and Courtney's Daughter Honors Gay Pioneer With Tattoo
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 09 2011 6:10 PM ET
A new photo shoot with Frances Bean Cobain, the daughter of late rock icon Kurt Cobain and musician-actress-personality Courtney Love, reveals the progeny has a tattoo of Quentin Crisp on her back.
Bean is the subject of a moody black-and-white photo shoot by Hedi Slimane. In the photos the 19-year-old shows off a number of tattoos, including one of the late queer activist on her back beneath her right shoulder next to a French quote, "L'art est la solution au Chaos," which translates as "Art is the solution of chaos."
The British-born Crisp, who died in 1999, is still celebrated by many as a queer pioneer. His 1968 memoir The Naked Civil Servant detailed his life and the persecution he often experienced due to his refusal to hide being gay.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM