Kurt and Courtney's Daughter Honors Gay Pioneer With Tattoo
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 09 2011 6:10 PM ET
A new photo shoot with Frances Bean Cobain, the daughter of late rock icon Kurt Cobain and musician-actress-personality Courtney Love, reveals the progeny has a tattoo of Quentin Crisp on her back.
Bean is the subject of a moody black-and-white photo shoot by Hedi Slimane. In the photos the 19-year-old shows off a number of tattoos, including one of the late queer activist on her back beneath her right shoulder next to a French quote, "L'art est la solution au Chaos," which translates as "Art is the solution of chaos."
The British-born Crisp, who died in 1999, is still celebrated by many as a queer pioneer. His 1968 memoir The Naked Civil Servant detailed his life and the persecution he often experienced due to his refusal to hide being gay.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Art When Shel Silverstein Covered Fire Island for Playboy 7 min 6 sec ago
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 49 min 20 sec ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 1 hour 6 min ago
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 1 hour 29 min ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 1 hour 35 min ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 2 hours 31 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 11:59 AM