Gaga Wins for "Best Female" While Dressed as Man
BY Lucas Grindley
August 29 2011 2:37 PM ET
Lady Gaga took home this year's award for best female performer — after putting on a raucous show dressed as a cigarette-smoking, beer-drinking man.
Her tweak on gender identity opened the MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday with a monologue in character as her male alter ego, Jo Calderone, who declared nothing real, and everything theater. Then Calderone tore off a black blazer and danced with a crew of men in white T-shirts and black pants during a rendition of "Yoü and I."
On a night when Lady Gaga's album and anthem of the same name for gay rights, "Born This Way," brought in the awards, Lady Gaga spent the entire evening as a drag king. The song beat a number of this year's biggest musical statements for gay acceptance to win Best Video with a Message, a new category.
"I feel so blessed to be here," Gaga said while accepting best female performer. "It doesn't matter how you are — gay, straight, bi, lesbian, transgendered — you were born this way."
Before the night was over, Britney Spears accepted a kiss from Calderone, who enthusiastically introduced Spears as the winner of the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award.
Watch the opening monologue below.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- The Brains Behind Husbands
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- 3 Big Differences: Boy Scouts Versus Girl Scouts
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 32 min 22 sec ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 35 min 13 sec ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 2 hours 35 min ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM