Soccer Player Comes Out
BY Neal Broverman
November 10 2011 6:55 PM ET
David Testo, a 30-year-old former MVP for the Montreal Impact soccer team, came out in an interview with CBC Radio Canada.
"I’m gay, I’m gay. I did not choose. It’s just part of who I am. And it has nothing to do with the talent of a soccer player. You can be both an excellent soccer player and being gay," Testo said this week. "I really regret not having said publicly earlier. I fought with it all my life, my whole career. Living the life of a professional athlete and being gay is incredibly difficult ... It saps all your energy to you, in addition to having to perform, having to play."
A native of North Carolina, Testo started his professional soccer career playing for the Columbus Crew in the MLS League. He moved to the Montreal Impact in 2007 and was named its most valuable player two years ago. Though the public was in the dark about Testo's orientation, he says his family, friends, and even teammates knew. Read more here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland 49 min 54 sec ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 1 hour 8 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 1 hour 14 min ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 1 hour 29 min ago
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 1 hour 40 min ago
- Sports National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s First Class Announced 2 hours 8 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Did Chris Colfer Get Arrested? 2 hours 14 min ago