Neil and David: Happy to Lead by Example
BY Jeremy Kinser
November 18 2011 3:13 PM ET
Actors and longtime partners Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka say they're not particularly interested in being role models, according to an interview with E! Online's Marc Malkin.
The two men were honored last Saturday at the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center's 40th Anniversary Gala with the Rand Schrader Distinguished Achievement award in recognition of their support for the center and for serving the LGBT community.
"We're super happy to lead by example, but even to define ourselves in any kind of leadership position I think is awkward," Harris tells Malkin. "I cringe when I hear people say they consider themselves role models."
"We really don't do anything," Burtka says, in agreement. "We take care of our kids. We're in a relationship. We love each other, but we don't go out of the way to stand on a soapbox, like Neil said."
At the gala event, the center’s CEO, Lorri L. Jean, explained why the two were chosen for the honor. “As a couple, Neil and David are respected and loved by the LGBT community," Jean said. "They are role models to many, especially our youth, for how to live openly, with honesty and integrity. And with their support over the years for many LGBT services organizations, they exemplify the center’s mission of empowering, healing, advocating, and leading in the LGBT community.”
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 6 min 9 sec ago
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM