Australian Labor Party Expected to Endorse Gay Marriage Rights
December 02 2011 7:49 PM ET
The Australian Labor Party is poised to adopt marriage equality as part of its platform, despite Prime Minister Julia Gillard’s stated opposition to marriage rights for same-sex couples.
In a saving-face maneuver, however, Labor MPs will be allowed to take a conscience vote on the issue during the party’s national conference.
The compromise means the numbers will not be there in the Parliament for a change to the federal Marriage Act unless the Opposition also grants its members a free vote in Parliament and a dozen or more support gay marriage.
Speaking yesterday after 11th-hour negotiations, senior Left sources said support for full marriage equality had built steadily ahead of the debate and was estimated to be as high as 250 votes out of the 400 at the conference.
The amendment will change the platform to remove the words "against same-sex couple" while declaring "Labor will ensure that all couples whether married or de facto do not suffer discrimination". "Labor will amend the Marriage Act to ensure equal access to marriage under statute for all adult couples irrespective of sex who have a mutual commitment to a shared life," it says.
Read the story here.
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- WATCH: Today's Tearjerker Featuring Binational Couple With 'Missing Husband'
- Florist Counter-Sues Washington, Arguing She Has a Right to Discriminate
- Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM