Advocates Raise $1.2M to Fight Minn. Antigay Amendment
January 30 2012 10:02 AM ET
The lead LGBT advocacy group opposing an amendment to Minnesota’s state constitution barring gay marriage has raised $1.2 million for its campaign.
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports the 2011 figures comprised donations from more than 5,100 pro-marriage equality individuals, including Minnesota Twins owner James Pohlad and Bruce Dayton, father of Minnesota governor and former senator Mark Dayton.
"Thousands of Minnesotans are beginning conversations with friends, family, and neighbors about why they need to vote no on this anti-family amendment," said Minnesotans United campaign manager Richard Carlbom. "It's not about the money, it's about the conversations." (Read the article here.)
The group backing the November antigay state ballot measure, Minnesota for Marriage, has not yet released its campaign finance reports but has a Tuesday deadline to do so.
Meanwhile, Rep. Michele Bachmann, who last week announced her congressional reelection bid after dropping out of the presidential race, spoke in support of the amendment during a Friday event for the Faith and Freedom Coalition in suburban Minneapolis. Bachmann discussed messaging strategy for winning majority support, saying, "I think if you want to talk to people who are not interested in talking about the morality you can also come at it as, 'Should people be allowed to vote?’” (More on the antigay amendment strategy session here.)
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 1 hour 10 min ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail June 19 2013 6:20 PM