Advocates Raise $1.2M to Fight Minn. Antigay Amendment
January 30 2012 10:02 AM ET
The lead LGBT advocacy group opposing an amendment to Minnesota’s state constitution barring gay marriage has raised $1.2 million for its campaign.
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports the 2011 figures comprised donations from more than 5,100 pro-marriage equality individuals, including Minnesota Twins owner James Pohlad and Bruce Dayton, father of Minnesota governor and former senator Mark Dayton.
"Thousands of Minnesotans are beginning conversations with friends, family, and neighbors about why they need to vote no on this anti-family amendment," said Minnesotans United campaign manager Richard Carlbom. "It's not about the money, it's about the conversations." (Read the article here.)
The group backing the November antigay state ballot measure, Minnesota for Marriage, has not yet released its campaign finance reports but has a Tuesday deadline to do so.
Meanwhile, Rep. Michele Bachmann, who last week announced her congressional reelection bid after dropping out of the presidential race, spoke in support of the amendment during a Friday event for the Faith and Freedom Coalition in suburban Minneapolis. Bachmann discussed messaging strategy for winning majority support, saying, "I think if you want to talk to people who are not interested in talking about the morality you can also come at it as, 'Should people be allowed to vote?’” (More on the antigay amendment strategy session here.)
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- FEMEN protesters in France have been a recurring...
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 21 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 1 hour 11 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 1 hour 13 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 1 hour 58 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 2 hours 5 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 4:50 PM