Video: Ted Olson on The Rachel Maddow Show
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 08 2012 10:52 AM ET
Appearing on MSNBC’s The Rachel Maddow Show, Theodore Olson, former U.S. solicitor general and co-lead plaintiff’s attorney in the Prop. 8 case, called Tuesday’s ruling “very broad,” despite the Ninth Circuit’s narrow application of its decision to California and not other states over which it has jurisdiction.
Speaking about marriage equality, Olson said, “The right exists in many other states now, and people are attempting to take that right away.” But the Ninth Circuit ruling articulated that “once you grant those rights ... you cannot take [them] away from those individuals without violating the constitution,” he said.
Watch the interview below via MSNBC.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs 2 hours 10 min ago
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy 2 hours 13 min ago
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM