Suspect Arrested in Transgender Bus Stop Stabbing
BY Michelle Garcia
February 10 2012 8:13 PM ET
A man was arrested Friday for allegedly stabbing a transgender woman to death at a bus stop in Washington, D.C., earlier this month.
Gary Montgomery, 55, was arrested and charged with the second degree murder of JaParker Jones, who was stabbed in the head on February 2. She died later that evening at a hospital.
NBC News reports that Montgomery has not been charged with a hate crime, but that option has not been ruled out. He is also being questioned for additional unsolved crimes.
Police Chief Cathy Lanier told reporters Friday that their search for Montgomery was aided by "passersby unrelated to the situation [who] intervened and attempted to assist" Jones. Lanier also thanked people in the community also stepped forward to help find a suspect.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- WATCH: Neil Patrick Harris Explains He Got Married for His Kids
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- WATCH: Gay Inaugural Poet's Marriage Equality Tribute Will Give You Goosebumps
- Australian Trans Man Fires Back at Clerk Who Publicly 'Embarassed' Him