Suspect Arrested in Transgender Bus Stop Stabbing
BY Michelle Garcia
February 10 2012 7:13 PM ET
A man was arrested Friday for allegedly stabbing a transgender woman to death at a bus stop in Washington, D.C., earlier this month.
Gary Montgomery, 55, was arrested and charged with the second degree murder of JaParker Jones, who was stabbed in the head on February 2. She died later that evening at a hospital.
NBC News reports that Montgomery has not been charged with a hate crime, but that option has not been ruled out. He is also being questioned for additional unsolved crimes.
Police Chief Cathy Lanier told reporters Friday that their search for Montgomery was aided by "passersby unrelated to the situation [who] intervened and attempted to assist" Jones. Lanier also thanked people in the community also stepped forward to help find a suspect.
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- Ugandan Parliament Passes Anti-Homosexuality Bill
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013 28 min 26 sec ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married December 20 2013 7:40 PM
- Women LISTEN: Out Folk Duo Hannah & Maggie's Lesbian Love Letter to Mrs. Claus December 20 2013 6:46 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert December 20 2013 4:55 PM
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt December 20 2013 4:48 PM
- Entertainment News Make These Golden Girls Legos Happen! December 20 2013 4:44 PM