Suspect Arrested in Transgender Bus Stop Stabbing
BY Michelle Garcia
February 10 2012 8:13 PM ET
A man was arrested Friday for allegedly stabbing a transgender woman to death at a bus stop in Washington, D.C., earlier this month.
Gary Montgomery, 55, was arrested and charged with the second degree murder of JaParker Jones, who was stabbed in the head on February 2. She died later that evening at a hospital.
NBC News reports that Montgomery has not been charged with a hate crime, but that option has not been ruled out. He is also being questioned for additional unsolved crimes.
Police Chief Cathy Lanier told reporters Friday that their search for Montgomery was aided by "passersby unrelated to the situation [who] intervened and attempted to assist" Jones. Lanier also thanked people in the community also stepped forward to help find a suspect.
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM