Russian Activists Seek Travel Ban for Antigay Law Backers
BY Julie Bolcer
March 19 2012 12:15 PM ET
Gay rights activists in Russia have appealed to the international community to bar the entry of St. Petersburg officials responsible for the new law that prohibits the “promotion” of homosexuality to minors.
RIA Novosti reports that St. Petersburg activists sent a letter to the governments of the United States, Australia, Canada, and the EU asking them to ban travel for Governor Georgy Poltavchenko, who signed the law on Sunday, and city lawmaker Vitaly Milonov, who initiated the measure. The controversial bill, modeled on similar legislation from three other Russian regions, penalizes individuals and organizations with fines ranging from $16,000 to $160,000 for "the propaganda of homosexuality and pedophilia among minors,” a broad offense that has the practical effect of outlawing democratic assemblies like gay Pride events.
According to Gazeta.ru, the open letter says, "Milonov and Poltavchenko have disgraced Russia all over the world. They have turned our country and its ‘culture capital’ into the medieval barbaric times, what that means is that there is no place for them in the contemporary civilized countries. Milonov and Poltavchenko do not share the values of democracy, freedom and human rights. They cannot be allowed to spread their homophobic views abroad.”
The law sparked a global outcry from the LGBT community and human rights groups. ThinkProgress reports that a Russian journalist has asked Madonna, Mercedes-Benz and PepsiCo to boycott St. Petersburg and cancel scheduled events, and the Canadian government has warned its LGBT citizens about travel to the city.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Current Issue Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly 24 min 36 sec ago
- Transgender How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates 32 min 31 sec ago
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM