WATCH: Kirk Cameron Says His Comments Weren't Hate Speech
BY Jeremy Kinser
March 20 2012 3:22 PM ET
Kirk Cameron says his previous remarks that homosexuality is "destructive" shouldn't be considered hate speech, during an interview with NBC's Today.
Cameron appeared on the morning program to publicize Monumental, his upcoming documentary about American principles, and was asked by host Ann Curry if his statements during his controversial interview with CNN's Piers Morgan last month encouraged hatred of gay people. "Absolutely not, of course not," Cameron replied. "I love all people, I hate no one, and you know, when you take a subject and you reduce it to something like a four-second sound bite and a check mark on a ballot, I think that that's inappropriate and insensitive."
Cameron said the edited interview with CNN doesn't reflect his full heart on the subject of homosexuality. Curry followed up by asking if he feels responsibility for using language that might make people feel it's OK to mistreat gay people. "Nobody should mistreat anybody — homosexuals should not be mistreated, heterosexuals should not be mistreated, bisexuals should not be mistreated," Cameron says. "All of us who really think deeply about social issues like gay marriage and abortion and homosexuality have convictions on issues, and and we all have our convictions formed by different things, and mine are formed by my faith, they're informed by the word of God, and I found that to be an anchor for me, a compass and a guide for me."
Watch a portion of the interview below.
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 38 min 25 sec ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 43 min 21 sec ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 52 min 13 sec ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 56 min 32 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 1 hour 5 min ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 1 hour 10 min ago
- Transgender Third Cleveland-Area Trans Woman Murdered in Past Year 1 hour 54 min ago