Dharun Ravi Plans to Appeal Guilty Verdict
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 22 2012 5:23 PM ET
A week after he was convicted on multiple counts relating to the suicide of his Rutgers University dorm roommate, Dharun Ravi is planning his appeal of the Web spying case that drew national attention.
Ravi, 20, gave an exclusive interview to the New Jersey Star-Ledger following last week’s guilty verdict in the Tyler Clementi case. Clementi, Ravi’s roommate, jumped to his death off the George Washington Bridge in 2010 after Ravi had recorded and tweeted about intimate encounters between Clementi and an unidentified man. Via the Star-Ledger’s interview:
I’m not the same person I was two years ago," [Ravi] said. "I don’t even recognize the person I was two years ago."
That person, Ravi admits, was immature. And did some stupid things. And was insensitive to Tyler Clementi’s feelings.
"But I wasn’t biased," Ravi said. "I didn’t act out of hate and I wasn’t uncomfortable with Tyler being gay."
And this person is committed to continuing to try and prove he did not commit a bias crime.
"The verdict actually made me feel energized," he said. "We (his family, friends and attorneys) will keep going."
Read the interview here.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: How the Mythical Big Black Man Killed Romance Abroad
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM