Dharun Ravi Plans to Appeal Guilty Verdict
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 22 2012 4:23 PM ET
A week after he was convicted on multiple counts relating to the suicide of his Rutgers University dorm roommate, Dharun Ravi is planning his appeal of the Web spying case that drew national attention.
Ravi, 20, gave an exclusive interview to the New Jersey Star-Ledger following last week’s guilty verdict in the Tyler Clementi case. Clementi, Ravi’s roommate, jumped to his death off the George Washington Bridge in 2010 after Ravi had recorded and tweeted about intimate encounters between Clementi and an unidentified man. Via the Star-Ledger’s interview:
I’m not the same person I was two years ago," [Ravi] said. "I don’t even recognize the person I was two years ago."
That person, Ravi admits, was immature. And did some stupid things. And was insensitive to Tyler Clementi’s feelings.
"But I wasn’t biased," Ravi said. "I didn’t act out of hate and I wasn’t uncomfortable with Tyler being gay."
And this person is committed to continuing to try and prove he did not commit a bias crime.
"The verdict actually made me feel energized," he said. "We (his family, friends and attorneys) will keep going."
Read the interview here.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 34 min 36 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 1 hour 35 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 1 hour 39 min ago
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 3:02 PM
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 2:53 PM