Son's Suicide Attempt Has Mother Calling on School to Do More
BY Lucas Grindley
March 23 2012 2:29 PM ET
A 15-year-old Ohio boy is in a coma today after attempting to kill himself because of bullying that began after he came out.
Austin Rodriguez's mother is calling on the Wellsville, Ohio, high school where he was a student to change its policies.
"If I would have known anything, then I would have done something," Bonnie Rodriguez told local TV station WKBN. Rodriguez said she only learned of the bullying when "friends came out of the woodwork" after the suicide attempt.
Bonnie Rodriguez told another station, WFMJ, that the bullying was both electronic and in person. "They were hiding his gym clothes because they didn't want him changing in the locker room with them," she said. "They didn't want him to eat by them, or in the school lunchroom."
WTRF reports that Wellsville High School held a student assembly in response to the news with four area pastors in attendance for counseling. The school does not have a gay-straight alliance, but principal Linda Rolley says adding one might be considered among changes she'll make in response to an administrative review of what contributed to the suicide attempt.
All the stations report that it's unclear whether Austin Rodriguez will recover, having taken more than 100 pills, after which he collapsed in the kitchen with his mother. The night before, he had told his parents that they "didn't know what was going on his personal life."
Anyone thinking about suicide or in need of support is asked to contact the Trevor Lifeline at (866) 488-7386 for help.
Interview with the mother:
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Health News Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men 1 hour 6 min ago
- Youth Does AIDS in the Endzone Fumble? 2 hours 46 min ago
- Theater Five Decades Remembered At the Flash 10:07 AM
- Film Why is Behind the Candelabra Like Valley of the Dolls? 9:27 AM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 6:00 AM
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When Scout Comes Out at Camp 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM