Lesbian Couple Denied Family Discount
BY Josh Hinkle
March 26 2012 4:51 PM ET
A lesbian couple was denied a family discount at a sports club in Manchester Township, Pa., because the state and the club do not recognize same-sex marriages.
Michelle Gladfelter applied for the discount with her partner, Sandy Gladfelter, and their 5-year-old daughter for the Green Valley Swimming Pool and Sports Club. Russ Jacobs, owner of the club, called Gladfelter and told her the application for the discount had been denied because "we don't recognize same-sex marriages," Jacobs said, according to the York Daily Record.
Jacobs added that the choice was not a matter of politics but economics, claiming that if he gave the discount to LGBT couples, he would then have to extend it to grandparents and cousins. He also said that marriage is not a factor, because the discount is available for unmarried heterosexual couples, the Record reported. "I have to draw the line somewhere," Jacobs said.
The Record reports that the Gladfelters say they have been discriminated against, but Manchester Township does not have an LGBT-inclusive antidiscrimination law in place.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Iowa Couple Plans 1,000 Antigay Billboards
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- Alabama's Antigay Judge Roy Moore Slapped With New Ethics Charges