Lesbian Couple Denied Family Discount
BY Josh Hinkle
March 26 2012 3:51 PM ET
A lesbian couple was denied a family discount at a sports club in Manchester Township, Pa., because the state and the club do not recognize same-sex marriages.
Michelle Gladfelter applied for the discount with her partner, Sandy Gladfelter, and their 5-year-old daughter for the Green Valley Swimming Pool and Sports Club. Russ Jacobs, owner of the club, called Gladfelter and told her the application for the discount had been denied because "we don't recognize same-sex marriages," Jacobs said, according to the York Daily Record.
Jacobs added that the choice was not a matter of politics but economics, claiming that if he gave the discount to LGBT couples, he would then have to extend it to grandparents and cousins. He also said that marriage is not a factor, because the discount is available for unmarried heterosexual couples, the Record reported. "I have to draw the line somewhere," Jacobs said.
The Record reports that the Gladfelters say they have been discriminated against, but Manchester Township does not have an LGBT-inclusive antidiscrimination law in place.
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 2 min 13 sec ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 13 min 31 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Whet Your Appetite for Gay Polo's Biggest Event 14 min 56 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel Coast Guard Academy Sees First Same-Sex Engagement Announcement 18 min 45 sec ago
- Television Behind The Candelabra Leads Golden Globes' TV Awards With 4 Noms 1 hour 2 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 2 hours 56 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM