MLS Suspends Colin Clark for Antigay Slur
BY Michelle Garcia
March 29 2012 3:45 PM ET
The Houston Dynamos have suspended midfielder Colin Clark for three games and fined him after he was caught on camera yelling an antigay slur at a ball boy during a game in Seattle last week.
Clark, 27, yelled at the ball boy who refused to toss a soccer ball to him. Soon after the game, Clark took to Twitter to apologize, and he spoke directly to the ball boy but Major League Soccer officials made it clear that there would be eventual repercussions for the barbs.
"Major League Soccer will not tolerate this type of behavior from its players or staff at any time, under any circumstances," MLS commissioner Don Garber said, reports the Houston Chronicle. "Colin Clark has expressed sincere remorse for his actions, and I believe that he will learn from this incident." Garber also said Clark must attend additional diversity and sensitivity training.
Clark is being suspended with pay, and is being fined for an undisclosed amount. He will still be allowed to train with his team and use the team's facilities during his suspension, according to Outsports.com.
- Year in Review The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?' 2 hours 32 min ago
- Women Kim Basinger is Sleek and Sexy in Pin-Striped Men's Suit December 18 2013 9:50 PM
- Women Op-ed: The Right's War on Christmas - The 2013 Edition! December 18 2013 9:06 PM
- Entertainment News Ian McKellen Surprised Hobbit Fans At Desolation of Smaug Screening December 18 2013 7:07 PM
- Travel Sia Wants You to Help the Street Animals of India December 18 2013 5:23 PM
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective December 18 2013 4:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! December 18 2013 4:49 PM