Betty White Honors Elton John's Birthday With Crocodile Adoption
BY Jeremy Kinser
April 03 2012 8:36 PM ET
To honor the 65th birthday of music legend Elton John, actress-animal rights activist Betty White has adopted a crocodile in his honor.
White and the Lifeline Program, a life settlement company that helps seniors discover a new financial option for retirement, adopted a Malayan gharial crocodile for the music legend to acknowledge his milestone birthday. The reptile will live in the Los Angeles Zoo as part of its just launched LAIR (Living Amphibians, Invertebrates and Reptiles) program.
“Elton has been a wonderful advocate for animals and wildlife issues, so we decided to honor him by adopting a crocodile on his behalf at The Los Angeles Zoo,” White says in a statement.
John, who had a number 1 hit in 1973 with "Crocodile Rock," has been a supporter of wildlife issues for many years, including the Greater Los Angeles Zoo Association and the Morris Animal Foundation, which is another of White's favorite charities.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 33 min 14 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 37 min 37 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 2 hours 8 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 2 hours 12 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 2 hours 34 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 2 hours 37 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM