Betty White Honors Elton John's Birthday With Crocodile Adoption
BY Jeremy Kinser
April 03 2012 7:36 PM ET
To honor the 65th birthday of music legend Elton John, actress-animal rights activist Betty White has adopted a crocodile in his honor.
White and the Lifeline Program, a life settlement company that helps seniors discover a new financial option for retirement, adopted a Malayan gharial crocodile for the music legend to acknowledge his milestone birthday. The reptile will live in the Los Angeles Zoo as part of its just launched LAIR (Living Amphibians, Invertebrates and Reptiles) program.
“Elton has been a wonderful advocate for animals and wildlife issues, so we decided to honor him by adopting a crocodile on his behalf at The Los Angeles Zoo,” White says in a statement.
John, who had a number 1 hit in 1973 with "Crocodile Rock," has been a supporter of wildlife issues for many years, including the Greater Los Angeles Zoo Association and the Morris Animal Foundation, which is another of White's favorite charities.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM