TV Station Defends Releasing Identities of Men Arrested for Sex
BY Neal Broverman
April 06 2012 6:50 PM ET
A Los Angeles television station is defending itself after releasing the names, pictures, and birth dates of 18 men arrested for lewd behavior and loitering in a Manhattan Beach restroom.
The Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center castigated KCAL/KCBS for releasing the mugshots and information of the men, which was picked up by online news sources. Center officials said KCAL's decision needlessly humiliated the men, who are charged with minor offenses.
"Like other stations in the market, we reported on a significant local news story regarding the arrest of a large number of individuals," KCAL said in a statement. "Our coverage, like that of several other media outlets, included showing the official photos of those arrested, photographs that were provided by the Manhattan Beach Police Department. This reporting is consistent with our long-held journalistic standards by which we provide the public with information and photos from law enforcement agencies about arrested individuals on a regular basis without regard to their gender, race or sexual orientation."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 25 min 7 sec ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 27 min 58 sec ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 2 hours 28 min ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM