LA Gay Center Slams TV Station for Humiliating Gay Men
BY Neal Broverman
April 05 2012 5:30 PM ET
A local Los Angeles TV broadcaster published the names, birthdates, and pictures of 18 men recently arrested for public sex at a Manhattan Beach restroom, and the L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center is livid over that decision.
The men were caught in a sting operation targeting the beach-adjacent restroom. The men are charged with "victimless crimes ranging from loitering to engaging in lewd conduct in a public place," according to the Center. KCAL/KCBS broadcast mugshots of the men that included their names and birthdates. Local newspaper then picked up the pictures and reran them online.
The Center reached out to a news director at KCBS/KCAL and said they're still awaiting a follow-up response.
“It’s shocking that any news operation, but especially an affiliate of a major network like CBS, would choose to publish the mug shots, names and birthdates of people charged with victimless crimes, simply because the charges are salacious or related to gay sex,” L.A Gay & Lesbian Center Chief of Staff Darrel Cummings said in a statement. “Naturally we don’t condone illegal activity of any kind, but these men haven’t been proven guilty and historically, charges such as those leveled against them have involved police entrapment. Publishing their photos serves no purpose other than to humiliate and destroy their lives. We call on KCBS/KCAL to immediately remove the images and names from their website.”
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver 2 hours 58 min ago
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM