Report: Gays, Tomboys Banned from Saudi Arabian Schools
BY Julie Bolcer
April 16 2012 9:20 AM ET
A news report from Saudi Arabia indicates that the government has moved to ban gays and women with masculine appearances from its schools in an effort to fight the “phenomenon” of homosexuality and gender nonconformity.
Emirates 24/7 cited a report from Monday in the Arabic language newspaper, Sharq. According to that newspaper, “Instructions have been issued to all public schools and universities to ban the entry of gays and tom boys and to intensify their efforts to fight this phenomenon, which has been promoted by some websites.”
Sharq reported that the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice, the feared law enforcement agency, would institute the order immediately following instructions from a high-level source. It was unclear who issued the order, but gay and students may return to public schools “if they prove they have been corrected and have stopped such practices,” according to Emirates 24/7.
Homosexuality is punishable by death in Saudi Arabia, which observes Shari’ah law. Pink News reports that last year, a 36-year-old British man was threatened with beheading and Saudi Arabian authorities a six-month media blackout on him after it was discovered he was gay. His may have been entrapped by religious police in retaliation for the 2010 conviction of gay prince Saud Abdulaziz bin Nasser al Saud in the UK for murdering his assistant in a London hotel.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM