Report: Gays, Tomboys Banned from Saudi Arabian Schools
BY Julie Bolcer
April 16 2012 10:20 AM ET
A news report from Saudi Arabia indicates that the government has moved to ban gays and women with masculine appearances from its schools in an effort to fight the “phenomenon” of homosexuality and gender nonconformity.
Emirates 24/7 cited a report from Monday in the Arabic language newspaper, Sharq. According to that newspaper, “Instructions have been issued to all public schools and universities to ban the entry of gays and tom boys and to intensify their efforts to fight this phenomenon, which has been promoted by some websites.”
Sharq reported that the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice, the feared law enforcement agency, would institute the order immediately following instructions from a high-level source. It was unclear who issued the order, but gay and students may return to public schools “if they prove they have been corrected and have stopped such practices,” according to Emirates 24/7.
Homosexuality is punishable by death in Saudi Arabia, which observes Shari’ah law. Pink News reports that last year, a 36-year-old British man was threatened with beheading and Saudi Arabian authorities a six-month media blackout on him after it was discovered he was gay. His may have been entrapped by religious police in retaliation for the 2010 conviction of gay prince Saud Abdulaziz bin Nasser al Saud in the UK for murdering his assistant in a London hotel.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 51 min 18 sec ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 55 min 45 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 2 hours 11 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 2 hours 59 min ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM