Spouses and Partners of Gay Knights May Get Honorary Titles
BY Lauren Jow
July 02 2012 3:46 PM ET
Spouses and partners of gay knights and dames may get honorary titles like the wives of straight men under a new bill introduced to British Parliament, according to the Daily Mail.
Currently, wives of sirs and lords are dubbed ladies, but partners of gay knights and dames receive no such recognition.
His Honours (Equality of Titles for Partners) Bill will be introduced to the House of Commons on Tuesday by Tory Member of Parliament Oliver Colville. The policy would also confer titles on husbands of dames.
“The current system is uneven and rather outdated,” Colville told The Sunday Times (London).
Former Labour minister Angela Eagle, who is also in a civil partnership, agreed with Colville.
“I’m not a great fan of the honours system but, if you are going to have one, it ought to confer equal honours on everyone who is awarded one,” she told the Times.
Notable Brits who would be affected by the change include Sir Elton John’s partner David Furnish; Sir Ian McKellen; Mark Bolland, Prince Charles’ former deputy private secretary, and his partner Tory peer Lord Black of Brentford; and Lord Smith of Finsbury, one of the first openly gay members of Parliament, and his partner Dorian Jabri.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 42 min 13 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 1 hour 53 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 1 hour 55 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 2 hours 40 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 2 hours 47 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 4:50 PM