Uganda Deports British Producer of Gay Play
BY Clea Kim
February 13 2013 9:14 PM ET
Producer David Cecil, 35, was deported from Uganda late Monday for staging a play about homosexuality, which is illegal in conservative Uganda, Reuters reports.
The play, The River and Mountain, told the story of a gay businessman killed by his employees. It was performed at two theaters in Kampala, the largest city and capital of Uganda, last August, BBC reports.
Cecil, who denied being a gay activist, was arrested last September for disobeying a public official’s orders to terminate the theater production. The charges were later dropped.
“We are extremely disappointed and obviously concerned that David was being deported without being given an opportunity to challenge the deportation order which would be through the Ugandan courts,” British High Commission spokesperson Chris Ward told Reuters.
Fridah Mutesi, who is one of Cecil’s lawyers and a gay rights activist, said there are still plans to challenge the legitimacy of the deportation order by filing a case with the high court.
Uganda’s latest legislative proposals include a ban on “promotion of homosexuality,” which could mean up to seven years in prison for anyone convicted. A previous bill had even proposed a death penalty for gays.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel These Grooms Met Because of a Big Blue Dog 37 sec ago
- Crime Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City 3 min 11 sec ago
- Women Evan Rachel Wood, Anne Rice, Join Calls to 'Save Kate' 5 min 46 sec ago
- Women Shot of the Day: Jennifer Lawrence Buxom and Blue for X-Men 6 min 52 sec ago
- Women WATCH: The Voice's Out Contestant Michelle Chamuel Kills on P!nk's "Just Give Me Reason" 25 min 31 sec ago
- Travel Gay Bashing? There's an App for That! 1 hour 30 min ago
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 10:33 AM