Uganda Deports British Producer of Gay Play
BY Clea Kim
February 13 2013 9:14 PM ET
Producer David Cecil, 35, was deported from Uganda late Monday for staging a play about homosexuality, which is illegal in conservative Uganda, Reuters reports.
The play, The River and Mountain, told the story of a gay businessman killed by his employees. It was performed at two theaters in Kampala, the largest city and capital of Uganda, last August, BBC reports.
Cecil, who denied being a gay activist, was arrested last September for disobeying a public official’s orders to terminate the theater production. The charges were later dropped.
“We are extremely disappointed and obviously concerned that David was being deported without being given an opportunity to challenge the deportation order which would be through the Ugandan courts,” British High Commission spokesperson Chris Ward told Reuters.
Fridah Mutesi, who is one of Cecil’s lawyers and a gay rights activist, said there are still plans to challenge the legitimacy of the deportation order by filing a case with the high court.
Uganda’s latest legislative proposals include a ban on “promotion of homosexuality,” which could mean up to seven years in prison for anyone convicted. A previous bill had even proposed a death penalty for gays.
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 23 min 44 sec ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 30 min 4 sec ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 53 min 30 sec ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 1 hour 2 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 1 hour 8 min ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 1 hour 51 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 2 hours 23 min ago