WATCH: Huge Anti-Marriage Equality Rally Turns Violent
BY Lucas Grindley
May 27 2013 11:43 AM ET
A massive protest in France by opponents of the country's new marriage equality law and rights for same-sex couples to adopt turned violent on Sunday.
Police in plain clothes were photographed in violent confrontations and dragging away protesters. Some posed bloody for the cameras. In the photo above, the protest is consumed in a cloud of tear gas. In other areas, riot police lined up in full gear with shields ready to turn back the melee.
Tens of thousands of people had gathered mostly peacefully earlier in the day. But as can be seen in the video below, that didn't last.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 36 min 47 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 1 hour 2 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 2 hours 46 min ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM