Putin Signs Adoption Ban for Gay Foreign Couples
BY Michelle Garcia
July 03 2013 2:23 PM ET
Russian president Vladimir Putin signed a bill barring same-sex couples from foreign countries from adopting Russian children.
The legislature passed the law after France established legal marriage equality for gay and lesbian couples in May. The Russian measure is "aimed at guaranteeing a harmonious and full upbringing for children in adoptive families," according to the The Huffington Post.
According to the Associated Press, this law limits adoption possibilities for 600,000 Russian children who do not have parental custody.
The Russian government has already barred Americans from adopting Russian children. Russia recently also approved legislation to outlaw all pro-LGBT "propaganda," out of fear that it could possibly corrupt children.
In April, Russian gay rights activist Nikolay Alekseyev said he did not believe the law would successfully make it through Parliament.
“It’s purely a political move aimed to show that the government is consistent in its decisions,” he told Russian media.
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- PHOTOS: Cyndi Lauper and Friends Work to Bring LGBT Homeless Youth Home for the Holidays
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM