Italians Stage Kiss-In For Stronger LGBT Law
BY Michelle Garcia
September 22 2013 2:05 PM ET
Members of an Italian political party staged a kiss-in protesting the strength of a proposal to update the national hate crimes law with language to protect LGBT people.
The measure would expand the 20-year-old law to heavily prosecute crimes based on homophobia or transphobia. However members of the M5S or MoVimento 5 Stelle, staged a same-sex kiss-in, while other members held up signs urging "more rights," The Local reports. Members of that party do not believe the proposal goes far enough in restricting homophobia.
An antihomophobia bill stalled right before the summer recess, but during that time, a 14-year-old boy committed suicide, claiming he was the victim of antigay bullying. His death prompted lower house speaker Laura Boldrini to ensure a measure was voted on this year.
The bill passed in the lower house Thursday, 354-79, but it is not expected to easily pass the Senate, where members of President Silvio Berlusconi's People of Freedom party have already promised that the bill would fall because it restricts freedom of speech.
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 21 min 18 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 37 min 1 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 53 min 36 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 1 hour 11 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 13 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 43 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 36 min ago