Italians Stage Kiss-In For Stronger LGBT Law
BY Michelle Garcia
September 22 2013 1:05 PM ET
Members of an Italian political party staged a kiss-in protesting the strength of a proposal to update the national hate crimes law with language to protect LGBT people.
The measure would expand the 20-year-old law to heavily prosecute crimes based on homophobia or transphobia. However members of the M5S or MoVimento 5 Stelle, staged a same-sex kiss-in, while other members held up signs urging "more rights," The Local reports. Members of that party do not believe the proposal goes far enough in restricting homophobia.
An antihomophobia bill stalled right before the summer recess, but during that time, a 14-year-old boy committed suicide, claiming he was the victim of antigay bullying. His death prompted lower house speaker Laura Boldrini to ensure a measure was voted on this year.
The bill passed in the lower house Thursday, 354-79, but it is not expected to easily pass the Senate, where members of President Silvio Berlusconi's People of Freedom party have already promised that the bill would fall because it restricts freedom of speech.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 2 hours 41 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM