BY Joan Garry
December 30 2008 12:00 AM ET
I'll admit it.
The Rick Warren selection stung. I really tried not to
take it personally. I raised many gay dollars (insert funny
visual here) for the president-elect. I received more
than a handful of e-mails with the subject line "I
want my money back."
mother said it in her own inimitable fashion: "That
wasn't very nice of [Obama]. After all you people did for
him...." (This may be the only time I have ever
laughed heartily when referred to as "you people.")
My partner says
she is done. She doesn't want to go to the inauguration
or any of those balls with me. I get her point. And it's not
because I'm not a very good dancer.
primary and general election season, everything was so
clear. The president-elect is in the right place in
terms of his record and on policy positions on issues
facing LGBT Americans. Our community had to work like
crazy to get him elected. Many of us did. Conversely,
another thing was clear. The gay community's support
would not bring him a single electoral vote he needed.
And might lose him a few. I get that too. We are,
after all, the most effective weapon in the cultural war --
the last and best hope of the religious right. Just
And so like many
of us, we look for signals during the transition so that
we can continue to believe the promise. And there have been
some. LGBT community leaders met with the most senior
folks in the transition team. The team members were
smart, supportive, and impressive. And yes, we all
celebrated the announcement of Nancy Sutley to the chair of
the White House Council on Environmental Quality.
But here we are
on the cusp of New Year's Eve -- and we've got Nancy Sutley and we've got
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 34 min 50 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM