Senate Introduces LGBT-Inclusive Domestic Violence Act
BY Michelle Garcia
February 05 2013 4:55 PM ET
The U.S. Senate is expected to vote to reauthorize an LGBT-inclusive version of the Violence Against Women Act, which provides help and resources for victims of domestic violence.
The bipartisan bill, which has 61 cosponsors, was introduced two weeks ago by senators Patrick Leahy, a Democrat from Vermont, and Michael Crapo, and Republican from Idaho. On Monday it was pushed forward for a full vote.
This version of the law would include sexual orientation and gender identity after vigilant lobbying from the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs. Currently 96% of law enforcement agencies have no specific services for LGBT people when dealing with domestic violence. LGBT survivors of violence do face discrimination: 45% are turned away from shelters, and 55% are denied orders of protection. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, lesbians and bisexual men and women largely report higher numbers of rape, physical violence, or stalking by an intimate partner than heterosexual men and women. Gay men's rates (26%) are slightly lower than heterosexual men's (29%).
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 44 min 1 sec ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM