Tennessee Republicans Say Therapists Shouldn't Have to Help Gay People
BY Lucas Grindley
March 07 2013 4:44 PM ET
From the people who brought us the "Don't Say Gay" bill in Tennessee, a new law has passed through a Senate committee this week that legalizes some discrimination.
Nashville Scene reports that the Senate Education Committee voted by party lines, 7-2, to approve a bill backed by Republican Sens. Joey Hensley and Stacey Campfield that would allow university graduate students in psychology to opt out of having to counsel LGBT patients — who he argues should actually be offered so-called reparative therapy.
Nashville Scene notes that refusing to counsel gay people is a violation of the American Psychological Association's code of ethics. It should also be noted that the association considers ex-gay therapy harmful and dangerous.
During a hearing on the bill, fellow state senator Rusty Crowe reportedly said LGBT patients should be told they're "doing wrong" and therapists should "try to counsel them to do what's right."
Nashville Public Radio reports that the bill could be voted on by the full Senate next week.
A recent case out of Michigan may have inspired the bill. Eastern Michigan University counseling student Julea Ward refused to see a gay patient and was subsequently kicked out of the master's program in 2012. Then the Michigan House of Representatives passed a bill in her honor that bans any disciplinary action for students who object to helping gay people because of their religious beliefs. The bill, though, never made its way through Michigan's Senate.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM