Quinn Makes Bid As NYC's First Female and Gay Mayor
BY Michelle Garcia
March 10 2013 5:28 PM ET
Christine Quinn, the out speaker of the New York City Council, officially announced her bid to be the city's next mayor.
The 46-year-old Democrat who was highly expected to run for the city's top spot would be New York's first female and its first openly LGBT mayor. Project Quinn married her longtime partner Kim Catullo last year. In addition to a biographical announcement video (below), Quinn kicked off her campaign with a "Walk and Talk" tour to the various neighborhoods of the city to interact with citizens.
As the New York Times points out, this tactic seems to be a nod to former mayor, the late Ed Koch's "How'm I Doin'" routine. In 2011, Koch said he would endorse Quinn for mayor and that she was the ideal "center-to-the-left candidate.
With strong fund-raising and a close working relationship with Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Quinn is perceived as a front-runner in the crowded Democratic field. Other candidates eyeing the office include Public Advocate Bill de Blasio, City Comptroller John Liu, former Comptroller Bill Thompson, and former MTA Chairman Joseph Lhota, according to MSNBC.
Quinn was also endorsed earlier this year by the Human Rights Campaign.
“New York needs Christine Quinn because she approaches every issue she cares about with passion and drive,” HRC president Chad Griffin said in a press release. “Whether it’s equality for all New Yorkers, great public schools, or 21st-century infrastructure, Chris is ready to fight for the city New Yorkers deserve.” HRC noted Quinn’s work for LGBT rights, funding for HIV/AIDS services, on-time and balanced budgets, and prevention of teacher layoffs and firehouse closings.
Watch her campaign's announcement video below:
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Gay Bashing? There's an App for That! 19 min 26 sec ago
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 2 hours 16 min ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 8:56 AM
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 8:43 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM