Mike Huckabee Shocked by Gays in TV Commercials, Textbooks
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 12 2013 2:47 PM ET
In a radio broadcast with the conservative group Concerned Women for America, former Arkansas governor and failed Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee registered his shock and dismay at being forced to see LGBT people on television.
In the audio clip, excerpted by Right Wing Watch, Huckabee laments the disastrous consequences of marriage equality, saying the freedom to marry is about much more than just allowing Americans to wed the person they love.
"This is why the legalization of same-sex marriage is going to be a much bigger issue than just saying, 'We let people love whoever they want to love,' that’s not the issue," said Huckabee. "Will it force businesses — and of course everyone will say, 'Oh no, people still have their rights,' but they don’t. And every fear that people had, has in fact come true, that this is being forced in textbooks on how marriage is depicted, we’re now even seeing television commercials portraying same-sex couples. That’s something I guess I didn’t expect to see anytime soon."
The fact that the former governor can't stomach seeing gay people on TV or mentioned in textbooks is undoubtedly comforting for the estimated 3.5% of Arkansas residents who identify as LGBT, according to a 2012 Gallup poll.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day March 07 2014 5:49 PM