WATCH: For Father's Day, This 10-Year-Old Wants Job Security for Her Gay Dads
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 17 2013 3:46 PM ET
A ten-year-old middle schooler in Florida with two gay dads is personalizing the call to protect LGBT employees from workplace discrimination in a touching new video from LGBT activist group Get Equal.
Alegra is in the fifth grade, and she she lives with her two dads, Jarrod and Les Scarbrough, in Florida. Because the family happens to reside in one of the 29 states without employment nondiscrimination laws, both of her dads could be fired simply for being gay — and the family would have no legal recourse, because such discrimination is perfectly legal.
"What it would make me feel is sad and disappointed that my dads could get fired just for being gay," the fifth-grader says in the video. "We wouldn't have as much food, and I wouldn't get new clothes and toys, and it would make me very sad."
The video is part of an ongoing campaign by activists to encourage passage of the federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which would protect LGBT employees nationwide and which has languished in Congress for nearly a decade but might get a congressional markup this summer. In the meantime, activists are hoping to convince President Obama to sign an executive order banning discrimination in employment by federal contractors, which could protect as many as 20 million LGBT Americans.
"What I want my dad to get for this father's day would be job security," says Alegra. "Please, President Obama. It could help so many families like mine."
Watch the video below.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM