Massachusetts Considers Ex-Gay Therapy Ban
BY Michelle Garcia
July 17 2013 1:40 PM ET
Massachusetts may join the growing list of states that will outlaw gay "conversion therapy" being practiced among minors.
Testimony in favor of the ban was heard by the Massachusetts Legislature’s Committee on Children, Families, and Persons with Disabilities on Tuesday. H 154 was sponsored by Rep. Carl Sciortino, and would bar licensed health care professionals from engaging in any type of therapy to "cure" a person's sexual orientation or gender identity, for those under 18 years of age.
"So-called conversion therapy is a disgraceful chapter in our society's mistreatment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people," said Ben Klein, a senior attorney for Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders, which is based in Massachusetts. "It’s been proven ineffective, it defies modern medicine, and it inflicts serious psychological harm on young people.”
The American Psychiatric Association has deemed conversion therapy to be an unproven practice, which it officially opposes.
California passed such a bill last year, and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is considering whether to sign or veto a similar bill, which passed by the legislature in the spring. Massachusetts' bill follows the shutting down of one of the biggest "ex-gay" organizations, Exodus International, which also issued an apology for causing decades of trauma to those who underwent therapy.
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM