Massachusetts Considers Ex-Gay Therapy Ban
BY Michelle Garcia
July 17 2013 12:40 PM ET
Massachusetts may join the growing list of states that will outlaw gay "conversion therapy" being practiced among minors.
Testimony in favor of the ban was heard by the Massachusetts Legislature’s Committee on Children, Families, and Persons with Disabilities on Tuesday. H 154 was sponsored by Rep. Carl Sciortino, and would bar licensed health care professionals from engaging in any type of therapy to "cure" a person's sexual orientation or gender identity, for those under 18 years of age.
"So-called conversion therapy is a disgraceful chapter in our society's mistreatment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people," said Ben Klein, a senior attorney for Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders, which is based in Massachusetts. "It’s been proven ineffective, it defies modern medicine, and it inflicts serious psychological harm on young people.”
The American Psychiatric Association has deemed conversion therapy to be an unproven practice, which it officially opposes.
California passed such a bill last year, and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is considering whether to sign or veto a similar bill, which passed by the legislature in the spring. Massachusetts' bill follows the shutting down of one of the biggest "ex-gay" organizations, Exodus International, which also issued an apology for causing decades of trauma to those who underwent therapy.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 32 min 49 sec ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 2 hours 13 min ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 2 hours 21 min ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM