Cher Turned Down Olympics Gig Because of Russia's 'Gay Hate'
BY Trudy Ring
September 13 2013 1:35 PM ET
Not that LGBT people needed another reason to love Cher, but there is one — she turned down a chance to give the opening performance at the upcoming Olympics in Russia because of all the “gay hate” there.
“I can’t name names but my friend called who is a big oligarch over there, and asked me if I’d like to be an ambassador for the Olympics and open the show,” she told Canadian newsmagazine Maclean’s. “I immediately said no. I want to know why all of this gay hate just exploded over there. He said the Russian people don’t feel the way the government does.”
In the wide-ranging interview, she discussed how the treatment she and former husband Sonny Bono received made her empathize with other outsiders, and she also noted her support for her transgender son, Chaz Bono.
“People hated Sonny and I in the early days because we looked and acted so different,” she said. “Sonny was always getting into fights — people would called him ‘fag’ and he’d get his nose broken — only because we were dressing different. And these were our street clothes!”
She admitted she was concerned when Chaz began his transition. “When Chaz first told me she was going to do it — pronoun problem, when he first told me — and the process started, I was so frightened,” Cher said. “One time I called Chaz and he had forgot to change his voicemail and it was his old voice. It shook me a bit. These are small changes that as a mother you never forget. It is the last taboo. It used to be against the law. Thank God we’ve come so far.”
Go here to read the rest of Cher’s interview, in which she discusses Lady Gaga, drag queens, Pink, Hillary Clinton, and more.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 52 min 12 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 1 hour 31 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 1 hour 37 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 2 hours 1 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 2 hours 10 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 2 hours 16 min ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 2 hours 59 min ago