Pa. Democrat Leaves Party Over Obama Supporting Marriage Equality
BY Michelle Garcia
May 24 2012 7:04 PM ET
A Democratic Party activist in Pennsylvania has decided to switch her support to Republican candidate Mitt Romney, she says, because President Obama announced his support of marriage equality.
Jo Ann Nardelli made her resignation from the Democratic Party known at a press conference Wednesday and then quickly changed her party affiliation to Republican.
“I respect all of you and all that I have achieved in the past,” she wrote in her resignation letter acquired by Politics PA. “Due to personal matters and faith beliefs at this time, it is only fair to resign. I will miss you all very much as you are all a part of my family; however, it is time to move forward with my life in a direction that is more in line with my faith.”
In addition to working on several committees for the Democrats, Nardelli campaigned for Obama in 2008. She has also lost two campaigns for Blair County commissioner, which Politics PA says may be her motivation for leaving the party. Some say she blames the Democrats for undermining her campaign.
“I don’t know what the beef is,” Blair County Democratic chairman Frank Rosenhoover said, according to the website. “We supported [the two Democratic Commissioners candidates], we gave them both money” and “equal fervor.”
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Living Trans, From Iran to New York City
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- WATCH: A Straight Wedding Morphs Into a Gay Proposal