Pa. Democrat Leaves Party Over Obama Supporting Marriage Equality
BY Michelle Garcia
May 24 2012 6:04 PM ET
A Democratic Party activist in Pennsylvania has decided to switch her support to Republican candidate Mitt Romney, she says, because President Obama announced his support of marriage equality.
Jo Ann Nardelli made her resignation from the Democratic Party known at a press conference Wednesday and then quickly changed her party affiliation to Republican.
“I respect all of you and all that I have achieved in the past,” she wrote in her resignation letter acquired by Politics PA. “Due to personal matters and faith beliefs at this time, it is only fair to resign. I will miss you all very much as you are all a part of my family; however, it is time to move forward with my life in a direction that is more in line with my faith.”
In addition to working on several committees for the Democrats, Nardelli campaigned for Obama in 2008. She has also lost two campaigns for Blair County commissioner, which Politics PA says may be her motivation for leaving the party. Some say she blames the Democrats for undermining her campaign.
“I don’t know what the beef is,” Blair County Democratic chairman Frank Rosenhoover said, according to the website. “We supported [the two Democratic Commissioners candidates], we gave them both money” and “equal fervor.”
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Entertainment News Sam Champion Receives Emotional Send-Off From Good Morning America 10 min 55 sec ago
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 41 min 44 sec ago
- Election Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates? 1 hour 15 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Queer Cruise Excursion? 1 hour 18 min ago
- Military Louisiana National Guard Will Extend Partner Benefits 1 hour 28 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor 1 hour 30 min ago
- Election Chris Christie Gets Heat for Backing Oklahoma's Governor 1 hour 36 min ago