A Review of the Republican State Platforms Finds Widespread Antigay Bias
BY Daniel Reynolds
August 29 2012 4:00 AM ET
The Republican Party’s national platform, released Tuesday, and its planks don’t bode well for LGBT Americans. Republicans would continue to endorse the Defense of Marriage Act as well as a federal constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage while arguing that advancement of rights "is an assault on the foundations of our society."
"This is more than a matter of warring legal concepts and ideals," the platform says of courtroom fights over the constitutionality of marriage equality. "It is an assault on the foundations of our society, challenging the institution which, for thousands of years in virtually every civilization, has been entrusted with the rearing of children and the transmission of cultural values."
- Hot Sheet: They Are Risen
- Artist Spotlight: Kent Monkman
- Twice-Divorced Florida AG: 'I'm Just Getting Started' Defending Marriage Ban
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- Controversial Catch Phrase Revived on Project Runway
- 4 Most Powerful Quotes From Florida's Latest Marriage Equality Ruling