A Review of the Republican State Platforms Finds Widespread Antigay Bias
BY Daniel Reynolds
August 29 2012 4:00 AM ET
The Republican Party’s national platform, released Tuesday, and its planks don’t bode well for LGBT Americans. Republicans would continue to endorse the Defense of Marriage Act as well as a federal constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage while arguing that advancement of rights "is an assault on the foundations of our society."
"This is more than a matter of warring legal concepts and ideals," the platform says of courtroom fights over the constitutionality of marriage equality. "It is an assault on the foundations of our society, challenging the institution which, for thousands of years in virtually every civilization, has been entrusted with the rearing of children and the transmission of cultural values."
- Michael Sam Passed Over By Every NFL Team
- 7 Brave Campuses for LGBT Students in the South
- Op-ed: In The Long Run, Michael Sam Being Cut Was About Homophobia
- WATCH: Gay Teen Explains What Bible Really Says
- Comedian's Billboard Taunts Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka
- WATCH: Which State's Marriage Equality Proposal Will Make SCOTUS Say 'I Do?'