Gay California Assembly Speaker Heads to DNC
BY Michelle Garcia
August 31 2012 6:50 PM ET
California's gay Assembly speaker, John A. Pérez, is scheduled to speak next week at the Democratic National Convention.
Pérez, 42, is the first openly gay state speaker in the country and is one of the state's longest-serving Assembly speakers. He addressed the state party convention in 2011.
Clarissa Filgioun, Equality California board president, praised the announcement. "Speaker Pérez is a powerful advocate for the dignity and equality of all lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Californians," she said in a statement Friday.
Gay Congress members Tammy Baldwin, Jared Polis, and Barney Frank are also scheduled to speak at the convention next week. For the full list of speakers, visit DemConvention.com.
- Hot Sheet: Demi-Vicious Pride
- Artist Spotlight: James Huctwith
- Op-ed: Why LGBT People Around the World Need Israel
- Showtime to Air Kidnapped for Christ, Exposé of Antigay Reform School
- WATCH: Elisabeth Hasselbeck Upset Over Rosie O’Donnell’s Return to The View
- WATCH: Cabbie Kicks Out Gay Iraq Vet for Kissing