Gay California Assembly Speaker Heads to DNC
BY Michelle Garcia
August 31 2012 5:50 PM ET
California's gay Assembly speaker, John A. Pérez, is scheduled to speak next week at the Democratic National Convention.
Pérez, 42, is the first openly gay state speaker in the country and is one of the state's longest-serving Assembly speakers. He addressed the state party convention in 2011.
Clarissa Filgioun, Equality California board president, praised the announcement. "Speaker Pérez is a powerful advocate for the dignity and equality of all lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Californians," she said in a statement Friday.
Gay Congress members Tammy Baldwin, Jared Polis, and Barney Frank are also scheduled to speak at the convention next week. For the full list of speakers, visit DemConvention.com.
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 2 hours 15 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 2 hours 15 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 2 hours 16 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM