Gay California Assembly Speaker Heads to DNC
BY Michelle Garcia
August 31 2012 6:50 PM ET
California's gay Assembly speaker, John A. Pérez, is scheduled to speak next week at the Democratic National Convention.
Pérez, 42, is the first openly gay state speaker in the country and is one of the state's longest-serving Assembly speakers. He addressed the state party convention in 2011.
Clarissa Filgioun, Equality California board president, praised the announcement. "Speaker Pérez is a powerful advocate for the dignity and equality of all lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Californians," she said in a statement Friday.
Gay Congress members Tammy Baldwin, Jared Polis, and Barney Frank are also scheduled to speak at the convention next week. For the full list of speakers, visit DemConvention.com.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: The Curious Case of Ronan Farrow
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM