Gay California Assembly Speaker Heads to DNC
BY Michelle Garcia
August 31 2012 6:50 PM ET
California's gay Assembly speaker, John A. Pérez, is scheduled to speak next week at the Democratic National Convention.
Pérez, 42, is the first openly gay state speaker in the country and is one of the state's longest-serving Assembly speakers. He addressed the state party convention in 2011.
Clarissa Filgioun, Equality California board president, praised the announcement. "Speaker Pérez is a powerful advocate for the dignity and equality of all lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Californians," she said in a statement Friday.
Gay Congress members Tammy Baldwin, Jared Polis, and Barney Frank are also scheduled to speak at the convention next week. For the full list of speakers, visit DemConvention.com.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage
- 'God's Not Afraid of New Things,' Pope Tells Antigay Bishops
- Same-Sex Couple's Kiss Sparks U.K. Bus Driver's Antigay Rant
- Obama: Constitution 'Does Guarantee Same-Sex Marriage in All 50 States'