Gay California Assembly Speaker Heads to DNC
BY Michelle Garcia
August 31 2012 5:50 PM ET
California's gay Assembly speaker, John A. Pérez, is scheduled to speak next week at the Democratic National Convention.
Pérez, 42, is the first openly gay state speaker in the country and is one of the state's longest-serving Assembly speakers. He addressed the state party convention in 2011.
Clarissa Filgioun, Equality California board president, praised the announcement. "Speaker Pérez is a powerful advocate for the dignity and equality of all lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Californians," she said in a statement Friday.
Gay Congress members Tammy Baldwin, Jared Polis, and Barney Frank are also scheduled to speak at the convention next week. For the full list of speakers, visit DemConvention.com.
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- PHOTOS: Jesus Days
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died
- Lesbian Couple Worries Antigay Slur on Google Maps is a Hate Crime
- Is Winnie the Pooh Transgender or Intersex?
- 90,000-Plus and Counting: Petition to Cancel Duggars' Show Gains Momentum