Ann Romney Won't Attend Values Voters Conference
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 12 2012 2:26 PM ET
Several LGBT and human rights groups on Tuesday issued a letter asking prominent Republican speakers to avoid attending the Family Research Council's Values Voters Conference. And while vice-presidential nominee Paul Ryan still appears on the speaking schedule, Ann Romney won't be in attendance, reports GLAAD.
The Romney campaign told BuzzFeed that there were no plans for Ann Romney to attend or speak at the conference. Previously posted schedules listed the GOP presidential hopeful's wife slated to speak after Ryan on Friday.
The Family Research Council, a certified hate group that progressive organizations decried in their letter as "far outside the mainstream" and consistently spreading "demonizing lies about the LGBT community," told BuzzFeed that the schedules posted included both invited and confirmed speakers.
"Sending Ryan to court the summit is one thing, but Mrs. Romney could risk jeopardizing her role as the soft, humanizing face of the campaign if she's perceived as engaging in divisive culture war issues," wrote BuzzFeed's McKay Koppins. "It's something she apparently realizes: Last week she repeatedly declined to answer an interviewer's questions about same-sex marriage, saying she wouldn't engage in 'hot-button' issues."
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Gay Women - News & Culture for Lesbian, Bisexual, and Trans Women
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM