Ann Romney Won't Attend Values Voters Conference
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 12 2012 3:26 PM ET
Several LGBT and human rights groups on Tuesday issued a letter asking prominent Republican speakers to avoid attending the Family Research Council's Values Voters Conference. And while vice-presidential nominee Paul Ryan still appears on the speaking schedule, Ann Romney won't be in attendance, reports GLAAD.
The Romney campaign told BuzzFeed that there were no plans for Ann Romney to attend or speak at the conference. Previously posted schedules listed the GOP presidential hopeful's wife slated to speak after Ryan on Friday.
The Family Research Council, a certified hate group that progressive organizations decried in their letter as "far outside the mainstream" and consistently spreading "demonizing lies about the LGBT community," told BuzzFeed that the schedules posted included both invited and confirmed speakers.
"Sending Ryan to court the summit is one thing, but Mrs. Romney could risk jeopardizing her role as the soft, humanizing face of the campaign if she's perceived as engaging in divisive culture war issues," wrote BuzzFeed's McKay Koppins. "It's something she apparently realizes: Last week she repeatedly declined to answer an interviewer's questions about same-sex marriage, saying she wouldn't engage in 'hot-button' issues."
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 9 min 13 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 25 min 48 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 43 min 48 sec ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 45 min 55 sec ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 15 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 9 min ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 2 hours 50 min ago