HRC Calls for Big Fine Against Spammer Who Sent Antigay Texts to Voters
BY Lucas Grindley
November 01 2012 2:26 PM ET
Voters are being spammed with antigay text messages, according to the Human Rights Campaign, which is calling for $1 million in fines against the right-wing group caught sending them.
The texts sent to swing-state Virginia voters ventured into falsehoods and fearmongering, according to HRC, which found the following messages:
"Stop Obama from forcing gay marriage on the states. Your vote is your voice."
"Obama supports homosexuality and its radical social agenda. Say No to Obama on Nov 6!"
Web hosting provider GoDaddy shut down the site used to send the messages and then revealed the identity of the owner because the texts violated its policies. The Washington Post reports that it turns out to be a right-wing operation called ccAdvertising behind it all.
In a letter to the Federal Communications Commission [PDF], HRC general counsel Robert Falk says the law requires ccAdvertising to pay $1 million in fines. First the FCC would have to decide whether the spam is a violation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
"By disguising the sender of the text messages as 'SMS@Aicett.Com,' ccAdvertising knowingly and willfully caused the caller-identification service to transmit misleading caller-identification information in an attempt to defraud and harm gay-rights advocates," the HRC alleges in a letter. "Swift and forceful action against this text-messaging spammer is necessary to protect consumers from those who subvert communications systems in an attempt to launch a pre-election 'October surprise.'"
- Television Meet the New Queens of RuPaul's Drag Race 11 min 38 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Real-Life Girlfriends Bria & Chrissy on '10 Things Lesbians Do on Saturdays' 13 min 53 sec ago
- Travel Stockholm Pride Sent an FU to Putin 25 min 15 sec ago
- Sports WATCH: Sportscaster Denies Calling Kansas Jayhawks 'Gayhawks' 55 min 35 sec ago
- Music 6 New Christmas Albums To Get You In the Holiday Mood 1 hour 22 min ago
- Film George Takei Documentary to Premiere at Sundance 1 hour 24 min ago
- World News WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy 1 hour 31 min ago