Interview: Mayoral Candidate Bill de Blasio on NYC's Hate Crimes
BY Robbie Imes
August 12 2013 12:15 PM ET
Bill de Blasio sat down with Here TV’s Jim Morrison to discuss why LGBT New Yorkers should vote for him. Naming issues such as LGBT youth homelessness and rising antigay hate crimes in the city, de Blasio says he will approach LGBT issues more “aggressively” than has been done in the past.
The Brooklyn resident is New York City's public advocate, elected and serving since 2010, and says he's focused on change, equality, and a fair living for all. He is taking on out lesbian Christine Quinn, who leads in polls, to become New York's next mayor. Other candidates include the scandal-plagued former congressman Anthony Weiner and former city controller Bill Thompson.
- WATCH: Donald Trump Still Can't Explain His Marriage Equality Opposition
- WATCH: Kentucky Clerk Defies Court Again, Turns Away Same-Sex Couple a Third Time
- Trayvon Martin Killer George Zimmerman Proves He's a Racist Homophobe
- TBT: Mid-Century Dreamboats
- WATCH: John Oliver Explains the Equality Act
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation