NOM Joins Marriage Equality Fight in Maine
BY Josh Hinkle
April 23 2012 7:44 PM ET
The National Organization for Marriage has joined forces with the Christian Civic League of Maine to oppose Maine's marriage equality referendum on next November's ballot.
The Associated Pressreports Rev. Bob Emrich, the chairman of the newly formed marriage group, Protect Marriage Maine, plans to assemble a variety of groups based on religious beliefs, or lack thereof, to oppose the referendum. Emrich hopes these voters will emulate those from 2009 when Maine's voters shot down a similar bill.
While the two groups have come together to oppose marriage equality, AP reports that 16 organizations make up the pro-marriage group Maine Freedom to Marry Coalition.
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds 1 hour 9 min ago
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia 2 hours 38 min ago
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM