NOM Joins Marriage Equality Fight in Maine
BY Josh Hinkle
April 23 2012 6:44 PM ET
The National Organization for Marriage has joined forces with the Christian Civic League of Maine to oppose Maine's marriage equality referendum on next November's ballot.
The Associated Pressreports Rev. Bob Emrich, the chairman of the newly formed marriage group, Protect Marriage Maine, plans to assemble a variety of groups based on religious beliefs, or lack thereof, to oppose the referendum. Emrich hopes these voters will emulate those from 2009 when Maine's voters shot down a similar bill.
While the two groups have come together to oppose marriage equality, AP reports that 16 organizations make up the pro-marriage group Maine Freedom to Marry Coalition.
- Marriage Equality Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill 2 min 36 sec ago
- Entertainment News TV Icon Bob Newhart Scheduled For Antigay Org Event With Rick Santorum 23 min 16 sec ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Follow 24 Hours in LGBT America 1 hour 53 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: Russian Doll? 9:18 AM
- Tyler Curry Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV 7:00 AM
- Film Queer Fan Art: The Hobbit 6:30 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 5:00 AM