NOM Joins Marriage Equality Fight in Maine
BY Josh Hinkle
April 23 2012 6:44 PM ET
The National Organization for Marriage has joined forces with the Christian Civic League of Maine to oppose Maine's marriage equality referendum on next November's ballot.
The Associated Pressreports Rev. Bob Emrich, the chairman of the newly formed marriage group, Protect Marriage Maine, plans to assemble a variety of groups based on religious beliefs, or lack thereof, to oppose the referendum. Emrich hopes these voters will emulate those from 2009 when Maine's voters shot down a similar bill.
While the two groups have come together to oppose marriage equality, AP reports that 16 organizations make up the pro-marriage group Maine Freedom to Marry Coalition.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Pastor Gets a Taste of His 'Sodomite Semen' Lattes By Sharing Parody Video
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School
- WATCH: NOM's Finances Are Even Worse Than We Thought
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges