Tammy Baldwin Sides With Obama on States Deciding
BY Lucas Grindley
May 11 2012 2:28 PM ET
Senate candidate Tammy Baldwin supports President Obama's position that marriage should be left up the states.
"The role of defining marriage has fallen to the states, and it has always been with the states," she said during an interview on MSNBC's Daily Rundown.
"Should it be?" interrupted Chuck Todd. "I know it always has been. Should it be, should we have 50 different laws on marriage?"
"We have since the founding of this country," Baldwin said, "and I don't see anything changing."
Some activists have expressed disappointment that while Obama came out for marriage equality in an interview with ABC this week, he said the laws should still be decided on a state-by-state basis. North Carolina is the most recent state where voters have approved an amendment to their constitution banning same-sex marriage and other non-marriage unions. Meanwhile, six states plus the District of Columbia already allow same-sex marriage and Washington and Maryland are poised to do the same next year.
Watch the wide-ranging interview with Baldwin, a gay congresswoman from Wisconsin, in the video below.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars 1 hour 50 min ago
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny December 19 2013 6:18 PM