North Carolina Protests 'Tyranny of the Majority'
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 15 2012 11:24 AM ET
Activists from Occupy Raleigh and 14th Amendment Equality Projects marched through the streets of Raleigh on Monday and want a repeal of Amendment One, which defined marriage in North Carolina solely as a union between a man and a woman. One local newspaper columnist, Barry Saunders, wrote in the News & Observer that the rally showed some that gay people haven't been voted into oblivion.
"How much do you want to bet that some of the true believers who rushed down to their polling station last Tuesday did so with the belief that their 'Yes' vote on the marriage ban would also ban gays?" Saunders wrote.
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- Rick Santorum Defends Bruce Jenner: 'He's a Woman'
- WATCH: Being Gay Is 'Death Worthy,' According to Georgia Church Sign
- Mayweather, Pacquiao: Two Checkered Pasts with LGBTs, One with Women
- New Details Emerge as Officials Rule Leelah Alcorn's Death a 'Suicide'
- Argentina Makes History With Three-Parent Birth Certificate