North Carolina Protests 'Tyranny of the Majority'
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 15 2012 11:24 AM ET
Activists from Occupy Raleigh and 14th Amendment Equality Projects marched through the streets of Raleigh on Monday and want a repeal of Amendment One, which defined marriage in North Carolina solely as a union between a man and a woman. One local newspaper columnist, Barry Saunders, wrote in the News & Observer that the rally showed some that gay people haven't been voted into oblivion.
"How much do you want to bet that some of the true believers who rushed down to their polling station last Tuesday did so with the belief that their 'Yes' vote on the marriage ban would also ban gays?" Saunders wrote.
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- PHOTOS: Toronto Shows Off Its Pride
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members