Jerry Brown's Advice for Scottish Pols on Marriage Equality: Be a Leader
BY Lucas Grindley
June 29 2012 12:52 PM ET
California governor Jerry Brown has some advice for politicians considering whether to get behind marriage equality in efforts brewing overseas: "Our job is not to give brilliant speeches only, but it is also to lead the people and to get them to follow."
That's what BBC News reports Brown telling leaders of Scotland about whether they should support same-sex marriage, which is being debated in their country. Brown said the Scots could learn from what happened in his state.
The court ruled marriage legal, then a voter initiative banned it, but polls over time have moved toward the pro-marriage equality side.
"There was certainly opposition to same-sex marriage a decade ago, but very regularly this opposition has declined," Brown told Scottish first minister Alex Salmond during the latter's visit to Sacramento, according to the BBC. Brown pointed to polls showing a majority of Americans now favor marriage equality.
The Scottish Cabinet is expected to decide whether to move forward with consideration of marriage equality in a July meeting.
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 2 hours 26 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM