Republicans Appeal DOMA Case to Supreme Court
BY Lucas Grindley
June 29 2012 8:22 PM ET
House Republicans have made the pivotal move of appealing a Defense of Marriage case to the Supreme Court.
Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi confirmed the decision in a statement condemning Speaker John Boehner and House Republicans for deciding "to waste more taxpayer funds to advance a position rejected by four different courts and to defend discrimination and inequality before the highest court in the land."
Pelosi sits on the Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group that oversees decisions about the House's legal action in the case. Republican leadership controls the committee.
Republicans are appealing a federal court decision that found in May that DOMA is unconstitutional in the combined cases of Gill v. Office of Personnel Management and Massachusetts v. United States. It was the first time DOMA had been ruled unconstitutional, but it wasn't the last. Others are also on a path to the Supreme Court.
House Republicans gave themselves a $1.5 million budget as they pick up the defense of DOMA after the Obama Justice Department dropped it, saying the law is indefensible because it's unconstitutional. Pelosi said Democrats have rejected what she calls the Republican "assault on equal rights."
"We believe there is no federal interest in denying LGBT couples the same rights and responsibilities afforded to all couples married under state law," Pelosi said. "And we are confident that the Supreme Court, if it considers the case, will declare DOMA unconstitutional and relegate it to the dustbin of history once and for all."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 50 min 30 sec ago
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 1 hour 47 min ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 1 hour 50 min ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM